Thursday, August 16, 2007

Walking in the Light


“…if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another…” ~ 1 John 1:7 (NIV)

One of my best purchases at the Farmers’ Market this season was a pot of flowers I bought from my friend Joe. There were several different varieties in this one pot, including a fuchsia geranium, some lavender petunias, and something with dark purple trailing leaves which, to my delight, started blooming this week.

But the majority of the container is filled with portulaca, or, to be technical, “portulaca grandiflora.” In fact, it should be called “portulaca greediflora,” because it’s taken over to the point where I have to prop the pot up with a big rock just to keep it from tipping over! If you don’t know anything about portulaca, it has succulent leaves on trailing stems, making it resistant to drought and my occasional forgetfulness, and perfect for my full-sun front deck. It also boasts a multitude of cheery flowers every day, deep coral and vibrant yellow blossoms that open in the sunlight, but close at night and on cloudy days.

I can’t help thinking I bear some resemblance to my portulaca, and it's not a flattering comparison. When my life is sunny, it’s easy for me to bloom, full of faith and hope. But sometimes, when the skies turn cloudy, or even worse, when I’m in the pitch black of night and it feels like the sunrise will never come, my instinct is to close up and keep to myself. When I’m “hunkered down” I don’t let anyone in, and I surely can’t reach out to others. The only thing that keeps me blooming is the vine, and staying connected to Him. "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.” ~ John 15:5 (NIV)

So stay connected … come sun, clouds, or dark of night.

No comments: