Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Are You Listening?


I like this cartoon because it’s “word humor.” In fact, I am a little ashamed to admit that I have it hanging on my cubicle wall, and when people stop to read it I judge them on how quickly they get it. Snobbish, I know… For more humor like this, check out http://www.toothpastefordinner.com (but not if you’re easily offended, because it’s not all like this).

As Strother Martin said in the movie Cool Hand Luke, “What we have here is a failure to communicate.” Can you relate? Sometimes we totally misunderstand what someone else is saying to us, which can lead to embarrassing consequences. Other times, people misunderstand us, leading to hurt feelings, or worse, leaving us feeling alone and alienated. Yeah, life can be like a game of Telephone sometimes.

But as awkward or bewildering as miscommunication can be between people, it’s worse between man and God. He knows our thoughts and hearts, so there can be no confusion on His part. But sometimes I wonder if I’m hearing Him clearly. In John 6:45 Jesus says, “It is written in the Prophets: 'They will all be taught by God.' Everyone who listens to the Father and learns from him comes to me.” (NIV) Even though the key word is “listen,” I’m not always sure I heard Him correctly. So I wait … and study … and keep questioning.

If I'm patient, He'll make it all clear to me in His perfect timing. And if I'm obedient, I’ll be in the center of His will ... right where I long to be.

No comments: