Sunday, August 5, 2007

Living Abundantly

One of my favorite things to do on a Saturday morning, besides sleep in, is visit the local Farmer's Market. You know it must be good to get me out of bed so early. If you don't go early, you may as well just forget about it, because all of the best produce and flowers will be history, gracing the early birds' tables and vases instead of yours.

I have two rules that govern my Farmer's Market shopping: Spend only the cash in your pocket (sorry, no checks or cards), and don't buy more than you can carry. Following my own rules takes some strategy, so I always make a "walk-through" first, setting my priorities, and checking out who has what the best looking harvest for the week.

I like to think I'm doing my part to spread the love around to all of the local farmers, but the truth is that I have my favorites. There are my friends, who have the glossiest eggplants, the most colorful peppers, the best selection of fragrant herbs. Then there's the older couple whose produce looks more utilitarian. But I can always count on his tongue-in-cheek commentary to make me smile. I've practically become addicted to the soft-spoken baker's simply heavenly multi-grain loaves. And I almost always buy a bunch of spicy basil or tangy cilantro from the Amish boy, if only to see his shy smile. The highlight of my visit is finding out what flowers make up a $5 bunch this week - cosmos, zinnias, sunflowers, foxglove, iris, glads?

But even more than the shopping, I enjoy the fellowship. I love talking with vendors who are connected with the Earth in a way I am not, and who truly care about the quality of what they're selling. And there are the other shoppers who passed up a once-a-week chance to sleep in. We’re all in the same Saturday morning frame of mind, and I hardly ever fail to run into a good friend I've missed talking with lately.

It's life in a small town, and it's good for the soul.

But it's also about living a life of abundance. I feel rich when I get home with my purchases, my mind filled with more potential recipes than I can possibly make in a week. I know I am blessed to live in a society of abundance.

Jesus said, "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly." (John 10:10, NASB) My faith in Him is not just a ticket into Heaven. It's the way I want to live, and He says life shouldn't be a sad affair, spent trudging through however many days we're given. Instead, it should be like the Farmer's Market - rich and flavorful, filled with vibrant color, sweet fragrances, wonderful surprises, and the very best each season has to offer.

No comments: