Friday, August 3, 2007

Just One Thing


I'm a writer. It's what I get paid to do, and I love that. But the other professional writers I know (and admittedly, I don't know a lot) all seem to believe they have a novel inside, just begging to be written. At the very least, they have blogs to keep the creative juices flowing. One copywriter I ran across posts the remnants of his dreams each morning as a writing exercise. Now that’s scary.

I don't know why I want a blog. It’s not like I need one more thing to do every day. Perhaps it's just my little slice of the web. Or maybe it will be my writing exercise too, because I'm pretty sure there's no novel lurking inside. But here was my original idea...

Christian comedian Chonda Pierce says her sister-in-law tells her to pray each day for "just one thing." One touch, one moment when you know you have collided with the Hand of God. One thing that will let you know that God knows where you are. When I first read that I thought it was a pretty neat idea, because there are many days when I am so self-involved that I'm just not aware of His presence like I should be. So I tried it ... and it works. Maybe I'll post some of my "things" here, as little notes of encouragement along the way.

I'm also big on lyrics, so there might be some of those. Or my blog may just be a personal outlet, my electronic journal. In any case, it is what it is, and I'm ok with that.

No comments: