Friday, February 29, 2008

Hope Springs Eternal


As surely as Winter keeps fighting to keep its “Current Season” title this time of year, out of nowhere the crocus will pop up, defying the calendar and coaching Spring, a brash young amateur contender slipping through the ropes to take on the heavyweight titleholder. Winter scoffs at Spring and desperately trys to hold its own, strutting around the ring for a few more rounds and throwing a few good punches. But Spring always rises from the mat before the count of 10, and inevitably, an exhausted and out of shape Winter grudgingly gives over the title belt to a fresh new season...and the fans go wild!

At least, that’s what I imagine began to happen this week. On Tuesday my friend Debbie forwarded these pictures by local photographer Frank Renault, and they were balm for my winter-weary heart. Then, on the heels of this sure sign of spring, the temperature took a dive, it snowed for two days, and my daughter got an unexpected (but much appreciated) vacation from school.

Still, it’s those little signs of spring that keep hope alive this time of year. I cheer on the bulbs braving the elements, but for me it’s the peepers that signal the end of winter. When I can stand on my deck on a warm evening in early spring (or late winter) and hear the loud chorus of tiny tree frogs, I know spring has finally arrived.

Another friend heralded the arrival of a robin in her yard last week. But according to one website I visited,

“The American Robin actually spends the winter in much of its breeding range. However, because they spend less time in yards and congregate in large flocks during winter, you're much less likely to see them. The number of robins present in the northern parts of the range varies each year with the local conditions.”


So I’m sticking with my peepers. And depending on a groundhog to predict the end of winter makes far less sense than any of these other signs. So why does Puxatawny Phil get so much press coverage? He must have a great agent. After all, he did land a leading role in that movie with Bill Murray…

But a better question would be, why do we need hope so badly as winter’s end draws near? My faith doesn’t waver during the cold, dark winter months, although I sometimes catch myself wanting to hibernate, rather than venture out to church on Wednesday night, or deliver breakfasts early on Saturday morning. But even though my faith remains strong and I know the seasons are bound to change, every sign of spring is a welcomed visual and tangible reminder of God’s faithfulness.

Young actress Dakota Fanning’s even younger sister Elle Fanning recently made her acting debut in the movie, Phoebe in Wonderland.” At one point in the film, Fanning’s character asks her therapist, “Are you always supposed to feel hope?”

I thought that was an excellent question, seeing as there ere are days when I’m not sure I “feel” anything at all. But thank God it’s not about what we feel, or even what we see.

It seems far too often these days that I’m writing about friends who’ve died, and I lost another one in a tragic accident this past Valentine’s Day. I worked with Jeff Owen for 17 years, and he was one of the kindest, most humble men I’ve ever known. He loved nature, his family, and the Lord, and when I approached his casket, my heart was warmed to see his Bible opened to the book of Hebrews, with this verse marked, “favorite verse”…

“Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.” ~ Hebrews 11:1 (NIV)

I remember Jeff sharing that very verse with me years ago, and I know his faith has been realized now, his hope finally revealed so that he can see what he could only imagine before.

So I have faith that spring will follow winter, and summer after that. And even if the seasons cease, I have faith in God, and trust that He has faith in me.


Frank Renault, who also took this photograph of a dog in Italy, tells me there will be a photography exhibit at the Bristol Library in March, a joint exhibit of the Highlands Camera Club of Abingdon between and the Kingsport Senior Center Photo Group and Highlands Camera Club of Abingdon. “Border to Border — In Focus,” on display through March 28, will feature nearly 40 photographs taken by members from both clubs. There is no cost to view the exhibit, and there will be an opening reception from 2 to 4 p.m. this Sunday, March 2. For more information, visit: http://www.gotricities.com/content/article.dna?idNumber=5322

No comments: