Thursday, March 13, 2008

Humble Pie


The definition of “humble” according to Merriam-Webster:
hum•ble: hum-bel (also chiefly Southern: um-bel) adjective
1: not proud or haughty; not arrogant or assertive
2: reflecting, expressing, or offered in a spirit of deference or submission
3: ranking low in a hierarchy or scale

Recently I was blessed on not one, but two separate occasions to witness humility in action and was, in turn, humbled myself.

Both instances occurred when I was at the gym. (And trust me, I’m not boasting when I say that. If you saw me there, you’d understand.) The first was the day Brett Favre retired. After 17 seasons with the Green Bay Packers, the 38-year-old three-time MVP hung up his cleats in an emotionally-charged press conference that had me riveted as I panted through my 40-minute treadmill workout. Here’s an excerpt of Farve’s retirement speech:

“I've watched hundreds of players retire, and you wonder what that would be like ... you think you're prepared ... but I was telling Deanna on the way over here, God has blessed me with so many great things. Ability, wonderful family. And as I was flying up here today I thought about so many different things and how I wanted to say some of the things that I felt like I need to say, but he gave me an opportunity to use my abilities, and I seized that opportunity ... I thank him for that.

”I'd like to thank the Packers, for giving me the opportunity as well. I hope that every penny ... I hope that every penny that they've spent on me, they know was money well-spent. It was never about the money or fame or records, and I hear people talk about your accomplishments and things ... It was never my accomplishments, it was our accomplishments, the teammates that I've played with, and I can name so many. It was never about me, it was about everybody else. It just so happens the position I played got most of the attention. But the Packers have been, ... it's been a great relationship, and I hope that this organization and the fans appreciate me as much as I appreciate them.”


Frankly, I was blown away by Brett Farve’s humility. It was almost enough to make me a Green Bay fan, but I was raised to pull for the Redskins come hell or high water, and I'm too old to switch allegiances now.

Then, in the very same week, I met a man who has lost over 200 lbs. in 22 months. I knew a little of Darren's story, and when I met him I said, “I don’t much like to use the word ‘proud,’ but you surely have reason to be proud of what you’ve accomplished.”

Do you know what he said to me? He said, “I’m just happy. I’m happy…and humbled. I’m really humbled to be where I am now.” Again, I was blown away. This guy has worked so hard to reach his goals. But he’s not claiming the glory; he’s just thankful. Wow.

According to the Gospel of Luke, here’s what Jesus had to say about being humble:

"For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted." ~ Luke 14:11 (NIV)

Boy, can I attest to that scripture passage. Ironically, whenever you think you’ve got humility covered, that’s when you need to work on it just a little bit more. And whenever I slip up and get even the least bit proud in my heart, God will set me straight.

It may sound silly, but imagine I have a brand new blouse, and I’m loving the way I look in it (plus, it was on SALE). Sure as the world, as soon as I cross the humility line I’ll drip marinara sauce down my front at lunch. It's frustrating, but I always get the message. And when I reflect on it I’m grateful for the lesson, because left to my own devices, I’d have a terminal case of “the big head.” And that’s not a reflection of Jesus.

(P.S. – Even though it’s a full week away from the first day of spring, I heard the peepers tonight when I got home from the gym. Spring is on the way!)

No comments: