Monday, February 18, 2008

Amazing Grace = Equality



From heaven the LORD looks down
and sees all mankind;
from His dwelling place He watches
all who live on earth-
He who forms the hearts of all,
who considers everything they do.
~ Psalm 133:13-15 (NIV)


I know all men are created equal in God’s eyes, but are identical twins more equal than others? I don’t know, but I do know I still can’t tell these boys apart anymore than I could when they were newborns.

Kevin and Kolton are sweet boys, but make no mistake – they’re ALL boy. It has been a joy to watch them grow, first as babies and then as toddlers and young boys, and I miss them. Their parents are our former Youth Pastor and his wife, Matt and Terri, and they live in middle Tennessee now. Still, we get to see them every now and then because one set of grandparents lives in this area. My daughter Hannah used to babysit for Kevin and Kolton occasionally (when Matt and Terri needed a sanity break), and she is graced with big bear hugs when we do get to visit with them.

One of the unique challenges I recall their parents having to address as they grew was the need to treat them as individuals, rather than as a “matched set.” Terri told me she took Kevin out for an adventure without his brother one day, and he looked at her and said with great wonder, “Mommy, Kolton’s not with us!”

Eventually we all have to find our own way…our own identity in this world. And what a boring world it would be if we were all alike! But wouldn’t it be wonderful if, at the same time, we could both appreciate our differences and celebrate our similarities? What if we could look at the people who, on the surface, are so vastly different from ourselves–whether because of skin color, gender, social position, financial standing, or even because they live half a world away–and and still see them as God’s children, no different from ourselves?

The older I get, the less patience I have for people who think they’re better than anyone else. I think they’re in for a rude awakening, if not in this life, then in the afterlife. I realize that in this imperfect world it’s easy to say, “It is what it is.” But I think the trick is to put ourselves in others’ shoes. In my experience, the fit may not be perfect…in fact, it will probably be a little tight and uncomfortable. But as the saying goes, "There, but for the grace of God, go I.”

Yesterday I watched the movie Amazing Grace, the story of William Wilberforce’s tireless fight to end slave trade in the British Empire during the 18th century. Wilberforce, a member of Parliament, eventually succeeded in his quest, and went on to fight and win many other humanitarian battles. A friend and encourager of his, former slave trader John Newton, wrote the hymn "Amazing Grace," which was originally called “Faith’s Review and Expectation,” and was based on David’s prayer in I Chronicles 17:16-17:

“Then King David went in and sat before the LORD, and he said, ‘Who am I, O LORD God, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far? And as if this were not enough in your sight, O God, you have spoken about the future of the house of your servant. You have looked on me as though I were the most exalted of men, O LORD God.’”

The truth of the matter is, we are all created equal in God’s eyes, and we could all ask the question, “Who am I, O LORD God?” If it wasn’t so, Jesus’ death on the cross would have been meaningless. Think about that the next time you look at someone and think how different you are…

Amazing Grace

Amazing grace, how sweet the sound
That sav’d a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

’Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
And grace my fears reliev’d;
How precious did that grace appear,
The hour I first believ’d!

Thro’ many dangers, toils and snares,
I have already come;
’Tis grace has brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promis’d good to me,
His word my hope secures;
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yes, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease;
I shall possess, within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

The earth shall soon dissolve like snow,
The sun forbear to shine;
But God, who call’d me here below,
Will be forever mine.

John Newton, Olney Hymns (London: W. Oliver, 1779)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How nice, Susan! And I didn't know that about the Amazing Grace song. Thank you! :-) Terri