Wednesday, November 28, 2007

What's Your Plan?


God Speaking

Written by Ronnie Freeman

Have you ever heard a love song,
That set your spirit free?
Have you ever watched a sunrise,
And felt you could not breathe?
What if it's Him? What if it's God speaking?

Have you ever cried a tear that
You could not explain?
Have you ever met a stranger
Who already knew your name?
What if it's Him? What if it's God speaking?

Who knows how He'll get ahold of us?
Get our attention to prove He is enough.
He'll do, and He'll use whatever He wants to.
To tell us, I Love You.

Have you ever lost a loved one
Who you thought should still be here?
Do you know what it feels like
to be tangled up in fear?
What if He's somehow involved?
What if He's speaking through it all?

Who knows how He'll get ahold of us?
Get our attention to prove he is enough.
He'll do and He'll use whatever He wants to
To tell us, I love you.

His ways are higher
His ways are better
And though sometimes strange
What could be stranger than God in a manger?

Who knows how He'll get ahold of us?
Get our attention to prove He is enough.
Who knows how He'll get ahold of you?
Get your attention to prove he is enough.
He'll do and He'll use whatever He wants to,
To tell us I love you
God is speaking, I love you


If you’re not an American Idol fan, you may not have heard of Mandisa. She was a finalist during the series’ fifth season, and she released her debut album on Sparrow Records this year. God Speaking is absolutely my favorite song on that CD, which my dear friend Debbie gifted me with as soon as it came out.

Debbie also invited me to a Beth Moore conference in Boone, North Carolina last May, where we saw Mandisa perform live with Travis Cottrell and the praise team that travels with Beth. I remember thinking, “Why in the world would anyone want to be the ‘American Idol’ when they could get paid for singing and praising God with thousands of other people, and tour with Beth Moore, to boot?” I understood a little better after I read her book, IDOLeyes, also courtesy of Debbie, but I still think Mandisa has a very cool job!

Last Thursday our family held hands and each proclaimed something we were thankful for before our Thanksgiving meal. As it got closer to my turn, my mind was overwhelmed with the possibilities. Of course I am thankful for my family, good health, God’s provision for my needs. But when I opened my mouth, something like this came out: “I’m thankful for all of the ways God works in our lives, when we see Him at work and especially when we don’t.”

I could tell you so many ways He has worked and is still working in my life, and for every example I could give, there would be countless others that I’ll never know about. Sometimes I’m just not as aware of His providence as I should be. In other instances I don’t believe it’s for me to know His ways, even when they have to do with me.

But here’s what I do know beyond a shadow of a doubt: I’d be lost without His hand guiding me. I don’t have to know the plan. Just knowing that it’s His is enough.

“‘For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the LORD, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.’” ~ Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)

No comments: