Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Making Lists



I am a list maker. Makes no difference what needs listing – groceries, gifts, things to do – I’m an equal opportunity lister. I think making lists makes me feel like I’m in control. And I know I get it honestly, because my mother keeps a list of things to tell me by her phone, waiting for my next call.

There’s not much gray area when it comes to listing things; you’re either a list maker or you’re not. But lately everyone seems to at least be interested in lists, even ones that don’t belong to them. One of the most interesting websites I’ve seen in a long time is FOUND, self-described as follows:

“We collect FOUND stuff: love letters, birthday cards, kids' homework, to-do lists, ticket stubs, poetry on napkins, telephone bills, doodles - anything that gives a glimpse into someone else’s life. Anything goes...”

FOUND is one of those sites where I could easily waste an hour or more just drifting through other people’s stuff, sort of like other people do at yard sales. I always check the “Find of the Day.” It’s fascinating, but I can’t really say why. The other day I even caught myself wondering if people ever make things up to send in. You know … they write a love letter, “spill” some tea on it, crumple it up a bit, and send it in with a great story about how they found it.

And FOUND isn’t new, so there’s much more than just the website. There are magazines, tee shirts, and “events.” Hannah even told me she discovered a whole book of FOUND grocery lists that she wants for Christmas.

Another interesting book I heard about recently also dealt with one man’s attempt to live his life according to lists. The Today Show billed, “The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible,” by A.J. Jacobs, as, “52 weeks, 10 commandments, 1 extreme makeover.” Jacobs, who says he’s Jewish in the way the Olive Garden is Italian, changed his routine, diet, and even appearance in an attempt to “live Biblically” for a year. (I never would have thought “living Biblically” meant all that, personally.) Describing himself as a “reverent agnostic,” he admitted that he never could fulfill the law, not even for one day. He was truly astounded by how much and how often he sins – coveting, gossiping, and lying, just to name a few.


The Today Show piece was tongue-in-cheek, and clearly Jacobs was trying to sell books, but he insisted his quest was in earnest. He also said keeping the Sabbath enhanced his life, and that he’s much more thankful now. As a Christian, none of what he said really surprised me, but some of his revelations were encouraging.

Aside from the control issue I have with lists, I have also put myself “under law” with lists. I’ll tell myself, “Ok. If I accomplish 1, 2, and 3 on my list, then I will allow myself to ______.” Or I may rationalize, “Things will be different if I can just manage A, B, and C.”

But here’s a truth straight from the Bible:

“… if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.”
~ John 8:36 (NIV)


I am FREE. How can I forget that and put myself back under law so easily? It seems unimaginable because my freedom is such a treasured gift. But it happens all the same, and even worse, when I do that I not only offend the one who freed me, but I belittle His sacrifice to do so. As much as it grieves me to admit that, how much more must it grieve Him?

So what can I do but try to stick to grocery lists, to-do lists, and my Christmas list from now on. And the next time I catch myself struggling to fulfill my own list of “laws” in order to be “good enough,” I’m going to tear that list up (no, I’m not sending it to FOUND) and I might just work on a list of blessings, instead.

No comments: