Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Thankful Hearts


"Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful." ~ Colossians 3:15 (NIV)

No question about it - Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I didn't feel that way when I was younger, of course. Then the "holidaypalooza" that Christmas has become was my first pick. After all, Christmas had a lot going for it: Gifts, flashing lights, a tree inside the house, and what seemed like an endless vacation from school. But the older I got, the more I could appreciate the simplicity of Thanksgiving.

Maybe it's because I don't have to fly anywhere during Thanksgiving week. But I think it has more to do with a holiday that's all about friends, family, food, and fellowship (ok, and football, if you're a fan). There's no pressure; it's just a day to be more aware of all we have to be thankful for. And no matter who you are, you have much to be thankful for. From each individual breath we take to our very lives, and everything in-between ... it's all from God, and it's all good.

So I wish you a wonderful day, filled with turkey that's not too dry, your loved ones holding hands around the table, and, if you're lucky, a nap in the afternoon. But most of all, I pray we will all have thankful hearts, each and every day.

Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: