Sunday, February 15, 2009

25 Random (Beautiful) Things



Do you have a Facebook page? A lot of people have been telling me I “need” one. And I’ve considered creating one, if only to check up on my kids. But ultimately I tell my well-intentioned friends that I have a daily electronic prayer ministry to 600 people in the body of Christ, this blog, and at least 6 personal and work email addresses, not to mention my day job as a copywriter. So no, I don’t think I do need a Facebook page right now.

One of the Facebook features that the media has been fascinated with recently is, “25 Random Things About Me.” For more about the random things flash-phenomenon, check out this NY Times article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/05/fashion/05things.html.


I can’t imagine coming up with 25 even semi-interesting things about myself that anyone else would want to read, but something that caught my eye in my dear friend and co-worker Nicki’s office space got me thinking…

Her husband has a calendar that’s 180º opposite of the “Life Is Good” merchandise. It’s called, “Life Is Crap,” and he sent her this particular page one day, presumably because he knows how much she loves chocolate (don’t we all?).


Anyway, it got me thinking, and I recalled this “Found” item. Some days are more beautiful than others, but I believe the beauty in life outweighs the ugly, and so I offer you, "25 Random (Beautiful) Things About My Life":


1. A living, loving savior who gave it all for me.

2. Two healthy kids in college, both of whom I’d choose to be friends with even if I wasn’t their Mom.

3. Music that has the power to lift my spirits and move my soul.

4. Friends who are always there for me.

5. A church that has been my family away from home for 20+ years.

6. My Keurig coffee "brewing station." (I confess, I'm a coffee snob.)

7. Overall good health that trumps the occasional aches and pains of someone my age.

8. My age.

9. People who read my blog.

10. The amazing ways God works everything out for our good and His glory.

11. The living word of God, “Sharper than any two edged sword,” that comes to my mind and heart at the exact moments when I need it the most.

12. The prayers of others.

13. My little Jetta that has made it up the driveway with flying colors (flying being the operative word) every snowy day thus far this winter, with the added bonus of heated seats. Yes!

14. Parents who raised me right.

15 Days when my gym workout actually feels good.

16. Movies (and Netflix).

17. A clear view of the moon and stars through the rustling trees from my back deck.

18. Birdsong on a warm February morning (and peepers on a cool March night).

19. A job where they pay me to write.

20. Co-workers who inspire my admiration (and my writing).

21. A stack of books waiting to be read.

22. Freedom in Christ and in the USA.

23. A hot shower in the morning.

24. The joy of giving to others.

25. The privilege of reflecting the love of Jesus to the people I encounter every day.

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ." ~ Ephesians 1:3 (NIV)

Photo #1 thanks to Hannah Link

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. I love sitting on tables

2. If I was rich, I would pay $50,000 for Demetri Martin, because I also hate meeting babies.

3. I paint and color a lot, especially when I should be doing something else.

4. I love birthdays, everyone’s birthday, my birthday, and people who have birthday’s today – AKA: Charles Darwin, Abraham Lincoln, and Jessi Lee. (HAPPY BIRTHDAY!)

5. I got a pillow case from my mommy for Valentine ’s Day. It has a big H on it. I love it.

6. I have a giant eye on my wall.

7. I say “True Story” a lot. It just means it’s true…but since I don’t normally lie, I say it a lot.

8. I can’t talk and type. So, if I’m talking to you online and just stop talking – someone came in my room and I’m talking to them.

9. I have Christmas lights up around my dorm room, and I love them and I hate the overhead light in the dorms. Ugh.

10. ALL I DO IS PARTY - Bounce High, Bounce Low. (If you know, you know.)

11. I had breakfast in bed this morning – pancakes.

12. I love Pop Rocks, Nerds, and Gobstoppers. That’s about it, oh – Swedish Fish and Orange Tick Tacs too.

13. I have a calendar from last year up in my room still, just because I really like it. It’s on the month of February too. But, I never look at it for the day so it’s ok.

14. My hard drive crashed, I lost all my pictures from my first semester at college.

15. I like O. (True story – plus its fun to cut up for colleges.)

16. Tonight I’m probably going to play Signs, Drug Dealer, or Apples to Apples.

17. I have worn a dress every day this week and I love the warm weather – but mostly what comes along with it, which is dresses and laying out in the grass.

18.My love language is touch and quality time. It used to just mainly touch, hugs - ect. but once I came to college I would rather spend time with someone than just hug them. I also like to make things for people or give them little things.

19. I have a lot in my room…48 pictures, 5 post cards, 5 paintings, 3 posters, a sign with my name in Arabic on it, and a note, and a page from a coloring book.

20. When I can’t sleep, I turn around in my bed.

21. I open the windows in our room whenever it’s nice. I’d rather have them open with a breeze than the AC.

22. My room door won’t stay open. That’s what I use my rain boots for most. (Doorstops)

23. I don’t have a favorite color or movie…I’m pretty indecisive, but it feels unfair to rule out all others. It mostly depends on the day.

24. I’ve been getting a London Fog Tea Latte the past two months from Starbucks.

25. I have four bracelets that I wear all the time. (All friendships.) And always mismatching earrings. Unless I'm wearing a necklace.


There's my list. I made it a few days ago. I love youuu!

Anonymous said...

Susan,
Several years ago my daughter, Elizabeth, gave me a "Gratitude Journal".In it you list five things that you are thankful for that day! It helps me to be thankful and to be aware that, yes, there are many things to be thankful for!
I am thanful for my friend Susan.
In friendship always, Janie