Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Update From the Road



Readers rarely leave comments on my blog, so I was surprised to get one recently about an entry from last August. It was an update concerning my friend Steve, who travels around on his bicycle with a few belongings and a big passion for Jesus. Jenny B. wrote:

hello. i met steve this evening and thought you might like to hear that he is just fine. he is staying in a work trailer (someone has set up), in a church parking lot in dalton, ga. he is still telling everyone he meets about Jesus. what a wonderful witness he is…he (very humbly) showed me a copy of your blog with his pictures.

I’m glad to know Steve is ok, especially since the very day I received this update was colder in Abingdon, Virginia than in Nome, Alaska, according to the local paper. He’s crossed my mind several times, and I’ve wondered how he was making it through the winter. So I’m grateful to Jenny B. for leaving her comment and thankful that our God is so gracious to allow our virtual paths to intersect at another signpost in Steve’s story.

But I also find joy and inspiration in Steve’s continuing witness to the people he meets...not only the people who hear about Jesus for the first time through him, but also the ones like me, who are challenged in their faith through his example. When I think of Steve, I’m reminded of these basic truths:

This life is about people, not things.
This world is not our home.
This hope that we have in Jesus is for life today and life eternal.


Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. ~ Hebrews 11:1 (NIV)

Keep the faith, Steve.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If more people realized the truth in the basic fact of life, the word would be a different, better place

hlhill said...

Hi Susan, (I think)

This is my first time on a blog. I know nothing!!!

I am Lee Hill, Weston, Ohio, near Bowling Green, Ohio. Steve was going by our church Friday night, as we were having a potluck supper. One of our elders was leaving early, and saw Steve just taking a rest. About 9PM, and invited him in for a meal. Well, the short of it all, is that I got to talk with Steve and invited him to spend a few days and nights in my camper, hooked up in my driveway. This is now Sunday 1:00AM and my pastor Rev. Deanna Kasper-Wright asked me to get Steve to stick around until Sunday and invite him to our church. Steve agreed and is now sleeping after allowing me to watch his movie about "Jesus". It is really very good.
Steve and I went to Wood County Fair Saturday morning for breakfast and he needed some bread for the road and we worked on his trailer most of the day Saturday and got it fixed.
Steve is doing really well, but was extreamly tired Thur. and Fri. nights. He also gave up on the movie around midnight Sat. and went out to the camper to execute much needed recovery time!!!
I am a retired electrical engineer and a full time Christian. It was and is a huge priviledge to meet and to know Steve. I just thought that you would like to have an update on him.

It would be really great if someone would create Steve a blog of his own, then we could all find him and keep track of his missionary work, here in the USA.
And if necessary, pick him up when he gets stuck some where. You can call me at 419-669-2595, my e-mail is: hlhill 1941 @ gmail.com (no spaces)

Also, this could be a ready reference for him. I think that sometimes he might not be received for the man of God, that he really is.

Yours, in Christ Jesus,
Lee Hill