Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Time Is of the Essence



I haven’t had a really good idea for this blog in weeks, most likely because I’ve been running around like a Jack Russell Terrier, my brain overloaded with holiday checklists and catalog copy, plus the details of a few other projects I have going (i.e., projects I’m behind on).

“Be still.”

This is how it usually works: On the rare occasion when God can get my attention (typically in my car, on the way to work), He’ll let me know what He wants to say through me and, if I’m especially attentive, how He wants me to illustrate His point.

“Be still, and know that I am God.”

To let everything else go and respond to this invitation is sweet relief. If you haven’t really experienced His presence recently, I highly recommend some “still time.”

But what happens if I don’t make time for Him? I feel “off”… not grounded … without perspective. And my thoughts are jumbled, like they were this morning in the murky slumber punctuated by the radio going off again and again as I kept hitting the snooze button. I was dreaming of New Years resolutions, making lists of all of my good intentions in my sleep. Later in the day I took a few minutes to read my blog entry from last December 31st and decided I’d already covered the topic of resolutions thoroughly.

I love the idea of a clean slate on January 1st, and I believe there’s some truth to the saying, “If you don't know where you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere else.” But I also believe every day offers a fresh start, and I hate the idea of people who are supposed to be living a victorious life being defeated by their own failed resolutions.

Further review of my blog entries this year reveals a “time” theme. The older I get, the more aware I am of the passing of time, and of my need to make the most of it.

You know how you see people in passing and ask them how they’re doing? Sometimes they say, “Well, I’m here….” Often I’m guilty of replying, “Well, sometimes that’s all we can ask.” It’s an offhand response, intended to be lighthearted. But while just existing may be enough for us on any given day, I have a feeling it’s not enough for God.

I also imagine it’s not enough for my friends Andy and Beth. Over the holidays Andy, who serves in the National Guard, received a phone call to join a unit going to Afghanistan. He will be leaving on or near January 12 and will be gone for a year. He told me, “I was expecting to get called up, but not this soon. It will be a challenging year, but with God, our family, and friends close by we will overcome the challenges that lay before us.” I admire what Andy's doing, and I'm thankful for the things he's willing to sacrifice—a year of his life here at home...a year of his marriage...a year of watching his daughters, ages 3 years and 14 months, grow up. Please pray for Andy and his family, and for the 54 soldiers of the 1033rd who have already left their families in Southwest Virginia and East Tennessee.

One of my favorite new bands is 33 Miles, and their latest hit—One Life to Love—includes these lyrics:



You only get just one time around
You only get one shot at this
One chance, to find out
The one thing that you don't wanna miss
One day when it's all said and done
I hope you see that it was enough, this
One ride, one try, one life...
To love....


So how does all of this tie into the New Year? Well if you’re like me, there are many things you’d like to do better in 2009. There are the things that are all about me: Get back to the gym, clear out the clutter in my life, eat healthier, read those books waiting patiently on my shelves, blah, blah, blah. Then there the things that might actually make a difference in someone else’s life…the “more” things: Live more, love more, and extend more grace to the people in my life.

The New Year is the ultimate do-over, but where to start?

"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." ~ Psalm 46:10 (NIV)

Trust Him. He’ll show you the way.

Joy to you in the New Year!

No comments: