Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day

Election Day. What did it mean to you?

If you’re a school-age kid or a government worker, maybe it was just a day off. But if you were able to vote, I hope it meant your chance to exercise the freedom our founding fathers and soldiers have fought to ensure for you.

When it’s all said and done tonight, I don't really care who you voted for (even though I did think it would have been amusing for both sides to have a post-voting sticker that read, “I Cancelled Out Your Vote”). In fact, I told several people today that I just plain love Election Days. I would drive across three counties to vote for Dog Catcher!

The main thing is, you and I both had the opportunity and privilege to make our voices heard today by voting in a democratic election. That’s a wonderous thing, no matter which side you’re on. And ultimately, we’re all on the same side again.

God bless America.

Photograph: Getty Images

No comments: