Friday, October 10, 2008

Don't Panic

www.nataliedee.com

What a week. You'd have to be living in a cave (unlikely, since you're reading this) not to be aware of our downward spiraling economy, and concerned about how it affects you. The stock market's wild swings have felt like a carnival ride, and the resulting media frenzy has been enough to make you dizzy with fear. I got off of the treadmill at the gym last night more stressed out from watching the nightly news than I was when I got on 30 minutes earlier!

I recognize, as well as any of us can, the magnitude of the problem. But I still have to believe the glass is half full. (Have you been watching gas prices this week?) It's a healthy and wise thing to be concerned. But the question is, where are you on the "anxiety scale" of 1 to 10?

Apparently the only AP file photos suitable to accompany bad stock market news are variations on this one, although this is the worst I've seen this week. No one wants to see the guy handling their retirement money making this face! All the same, as my friend Connie reminded me today, "Life can be hard and doesn't always go the way we think it will—yet Jesus is still Lord." She also said she's quit praying about finances, and instead is just praying for Him to grow her trust and obedience. That was a powerful witness to me.

She shared these thoughts with me in response to some lyrics and scripture I emailed to her earlier in the week. A few years ago Amy Grant put out a collection of old hymns done in a new way (I love those). It's called, "Legacy," and more times than I can count, when I've had a heavy heart, "Fields of Plenty" will come up on my iPod. Amy sings a couple of verses from, "Be Still My Soul"...

Be still, my soul: The Lord is on thy side.
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain;
leave to thy God to order and provide;
in every change He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: Thy best, thy heavenly friend
through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

Be still, my soul: Thy God doth undertake
to guide the future, as He has in past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
all now mysterious will be bright at last.


Sweet music, and a balm to my soul...and if that weren't enough of a reminder to trust God, Amy Grant quotes the very verse I cling to when I'm struggling:

Delight yourselves in the Lord, yes, and find your joy in Him. Be known for your gentleness, and never forget the nearness of our God. And don't worry, whatever's going to come...Just tell God every detail. And the peace of God that no one understands will come to you. No, don't worry...just tell Him every detail, and His peace will come to you." ~ Philippians 4:4-7

So yes...BE CONCERNED. But I just wanted to remind everyone that there's an alternative to panic. Because apart from Jesus, none of us really have anything.


Photo: A broker on ICAP's dealing floor calls for prices on October 9, 2008 in London, England. Peter Macdiarmid/Getty

No comments: