Monday, June 23, 2008

Mowing



Top ten thoughts rolling around in my head while I was mowing tonight:

1. My father would be horrified to see me flying around the yard in high gear, zigging and zagging, doing donuts and figure 8s, and generally driving it like I stole it.

2. This must be what it was like to live in the Dust Bowl…and where do all of these sticks come from every time I mow??

3. There’s a very fine line between mowing and mulching, and I’m constantly crossing it.

4. I wonder how much Ann Brooks would charge to mow this for me every couple of weeks...?

5. Clover, crabgrass, and dandelions, when cut level, give the genuine appearance of a lawn.

6. I need to remember to go back and pluck those few ripe wild strawberries that were winking at me through the underbrush as I flew by…and it looks like a bumper crop of blackberries this year.

7. Grass has a wonderfully sweet, sharp scent the very instant you cut it.

8. A cool front must have moved through today, because the sky is a glorious shade of blue, with no haze whatsoever, and it’s refreshingly cool out here.

9. A newly mown lawn (i.e., weeds cut level) is infinitely satisfying when you finish and survey your work from the comfort of a hammock on the back deck.

10. God really is very good…all the time.

“For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God. For, ‘All men are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of the Lord stands forever.’ And this is the word that was preached to you.” ~ 1 Peter 1:23-25 (NIV)

2 comments:

Psyche said...

Everything is better when surveyed from a hammock, I just bought one of my own.

MozzarElla said...

This, my dear Susan, is one of a few select blog entries of yours that I must share with my Mom!
I smile as I read how you aptly capture the glorious simplicity of life.