Sunday, September 9, 2007

Perspective


I’m glad to say a friend's brother recently arrived home safely from Iraq, where he served in the U.S. Air Force. On his return, he wrote a letter to family and friends, which my friend shared with me. I am so grateful and humbled beyond words for the selfless service our military performs. My friend's brother has a wonderful way with words, and they seem particularly appropriate this week. So with his permission I am sharing his thoughts here. I think they speak for themselves...

“As I close this short but significant chapter in my life, I do have a new perspective on life. While I had no near death experiences or ‘close calls,’ I was always in danger. Just when I started feeling safe a bump in the night and a run for the bunker reminded me of my mortality. Your prayers were working though. Personally, I grew to value my relationships more than ever: First, my relationship with my savior, Jesus Christ – I always knew his hand was working on my behalf and my family's; second, with my family – we are so blessed, even if the car breaks down, the house implodes, the kids break toes, keys, remotes are lost, and the floor-mopping robot breaks down ... you name it, Cheryl dealt with it; third, with the rest of my family – all were so supportive, and we were really blessed that so many live close by to help out, and others not so close by helped out beyond expectations; fourth with friends – so many sent packages or just a helpful e-mail; and last but not least, with my country – in this respect, I mostly refer to our heritage, the ones who stood firmly for our freedoms and who died to secure them. We take so much for granted, myself included. Even in the short time since I've been back, it's so easy to forget we are a country at war.

“If asked, and I have been, what I think about the war, I say that things are getting better and worse. There are a lot of good things working for the country of Iraq, but the horrendous attacks tend to detract from those efforts. I do think we will be there in some capacity for many years to come, and that's what it will take to get them on their feet again. As Inigo Montoya said in the movie, The Princess Bride, ‘Let me essplain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.’ We find ourselves now caught between Iraq and a hard place. :-) (Am I the first one to come up with that? Well, in mind I am, and that's all that matters.)

“Just continue to pray for the safety of our folks over there, certainly the troops, but also the thousands of government civilians and contractors devoted to the same mission and subject to some degree of danger no matter where they are.”

No comments: